While I was washing dishes today, Sophia asked if she could go outside and explore the tracks in the snow in our backyard. I said sure, and was proud of myself for letting go enough to let her go out, because my gut always wants to say no. I bundled her up and watched from the window as she meandered around the yard. I then peeked my head out and suggested she build a snowman. and then I watched as she struggled to construct him. She had this tiny little head on him and then came in asking for stuff for his face. I grabbed a carrot out of the fridge and cut a nose and grabbed some cranberries for the eyes. A few minutes later she came crying because she couldn't get anything to stick in that tiny head of his. So I quit what I was doing and went out to help her. We built a bigger head and got those eyes and nose to stick. We then built him a new middle and popped that little head on top. My hands were freezing, but we carried on. She went after some arms and I went inside to find a ribbon. Once he was looking great, I suggested she make some "snowman soup," like the book she got for Christmas and she thought that was an awesome idea. So that is what is in the little bowl in front.
It's really isn't anything amazing, but to me it is progress. Being able to put down what I'm doing to help one of my children. To do things that I may not, at first thought, want to do. But I know that any time I spend with my children is worth it and that those moments say "I love you." I didn't let my to do list get in the way of spending a moment with my little Sophia out in the snow.
We then came in and made some hot chocolate and she is now busily working at being an artist at the kitchen table. It's the small moments that make it all worth while.
Tuesday, January 24, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment