We are all entitled to a change of heart, right? Because I've had a major change over the last couple of weeks. I'm about ten weeks from having this baby and I already had my c-section scheduled for May 10th, but my sister in law asked me if I had concidered trying to do a VBAC. She's asked me about this with my last two pregnancies too, and I usually just let it roll off my back with no concideration at all. No thanks, I'll just play it by the books and have repeat c-sections. I also went as far as telling myself this was the better way to go after all. I could pick the date, fly my mom in to help, and there were no surprises or waiting around, plus I got to shave off a week from my pregnancy. I was cool with it. After all, that's all I knew and my doctor's didn't seem to keen on the idea of VBAC anyways. I took their advice and went the safest, easiest route.
So this is how I greeted my new babies each time.
Sophia:
And Julianne:
But when my SIL mentioned it this time, I actually couldn't get it out of my head. I came home that night and started doing some research. Boy did that open up a can of worms. Maybe I was missing out on something. The fact that I didn't get to hold Julianne for several hours after my last surgery was a bummer, and the fact that the majority of the experience you are on your own. Miguel is never allowed to come into the OR until they are about to cut. All of the prep is done without him and then as soon as the baby is out he goes with the baby to the nursery and I'm there for another half and hour by myself. Kind of scary, but I just accepted it as the way it had to be.
After looking more at the stats, it seems that my chances of having a uterine rupture are very low. The stars have all seemed to allign, and prayers answered too, and I've been able to find the only doctor in the valley who will support a VBAC after multiple c-sections and he took me on as a patient. I've found a hospital that will allow me to do it and a very supportive doula, who is an RN, who will help us. (If you didn't know, attempting something like this is extrememly rare and those that do, resort to home births, which I'm not open to that. Doctors won't do it anymore for fear of lawsuits and hospitals quit allowing them after one c-section)
I'm hoping for a different experience. A more pleasant one, where I can enjoy the moment, have a much shorter and less painful recovery, and be back on my feet to take care of my family.
Wish us luck! We are going to need all the prayers and support we can get.
4 comments:
That is awsome! I admire you Lindsay! We support ya, whatever you chose and whatever the outcome! Look at you doing marathans! triathalons! running for Mrs. Utah, you are amazing!
Good luck Lindsay! Sending lots of prayers your way. Can't wait to see this little guy...
You are one of the stongest women I know. If you feel this is the way to go than its the way to go! :) You have my support and prayers!
Sending lots of happy thoughts and prayers your way! I hope it goes smoothly.
Post a Comment