Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Oh, St. Patrick's Day!

Dear St. Patrick's Day,
I don't think I really like you. Nor do my children. You see we've never given you any attention before and we've been just fine here in our home. However, I got a wild idea and decided to teach my children about you this year and all of your mischief and magical people. We talked about leprachauns and their sneaky ways and if we catch one, we can get a wish. All of which was highly reinforced by Gabriela's Kindergarten teacher who set her own trap in the classroom. Gabriela came home singing songs and bringing home leprechauns of her own.
 Well here is what our leprechaun left us that night.
Gabriela was the first one up that morning and when I reminded her about the trap, she all of a sudden got a look of horror on her face and told me she was too afraid to check it. She peeked into the kitchen and said she saw footprints and told me to go look. I played along and eased her fears when I said he wasn't in the trap. She then came in and discovered the chocolate coins he left behind. All of which were consumed by the kids before breakfast.

Later she declared, "Mom, I know why he didn't mess up our rooms or our house...it's because it was already a mess!"   NICE, but she's probably right.

I guess at school during recess a leprechaun made his way into her classroom and messed up everything, turned the milk green, and created havoc all over.

So later on that week we had babysitting group at our house and all of the other children started talking about leprechauns and told Gabriela that they saw one in her room. Next thing we know she comes to us crying and shaking in fear that there really was something in her room. We've never taught our kids to fear and it was strange to see her so terrified. She truly believed in those little things and I don't think she had a friendly image in her mind. I tried to convince her that nothing was in the house, but she wasn't buying it, so I finally, against my gut instinct, had to tell her the truth. There are no real leprechauns. I felt like I was going to crush all of her other beliefs with this sinking ship. She looked at me strange, and said, "yes they are. What about the green milk, and the footprints?" I told her that Mommy and Papi were the leprechauns, and she said, "why would you do that?" I had to tell her it was all for fun, but that it was our secret and don't ruin the fun for all the other kids.
Even after our pep talk, she still wouldn't sleep in her own bed for a few nights.

So St. Patrick's Day...the heck with you. It wasn't that fun and we would rather love and celebrate Cinco de Mayo anyday.

Adios

1 comment:

Rebeca said...

Love the creativity!