Monday, September 15, 2008

This is what I get for trying to be creative!

So I feel so guilty everytime my children are in front of the t.v. Today I tried to get creative and let them string beads. I knew I was taking a risk with Sophia, but since Gabriela had done it before I thought I might be o.k. Apparently Sophia could care less about stringing beads or adding order to anything. Chaos is her preferred method. I left the room for a minute and when I came back, they were from one end of the living room to the other. Sophia had her cheeks full like a chipmunk and had handfulls of beads and was showering herself with them. She had the most pleasing look on her face too. Did Gabriela do anything to stop it, of course not. She just follows Sophia's lead and pleads not-guilty. I think I'll stick to the movies next time. As a side note, Gabriela told Miguel that he would be their hero if he helped them clean it up. Tonight we went to the Provo Library for Spanish Story Time and a puppetry troup was giving a free show. Once again, I'm trying to be creative and do something out of the ordinary. Storytime went o.k., but once it was time for the puppet show, the kids were done. They just ran everywhere. Good thing Miguel was with me. He got a pretty good idea of what it's like to go to the library with three kids, and to think I do it by myself every week.
She looks so studious!
They sang spanish dongs,"La Bamba" in fact, and the kids got musical instruments to play with. Sophia entertained by doing a little dance for everyone.

During the story Gabriela kept harassing Sophia and kissing her cheeks. It sounds sweet, but I'm not sure the intentions were that sweet. She would turn around and tell us, "Sophia is my best friend." When we would tell her to quit and leave her alone she would just say, "I'm giving her kisses." To bad she's not that loving at home.

3 comments:

Amy K said...

Oh Lindsay! I hear you and totally feel for you! It's funny (or not so funny) how those little moments so often turn into something bigger and harder than you imagined. Cheers to you for being a good mom and making fun memories and good times for the kids. They'll remember what a cool mom you are. :) I think Blake and Sophia are a like in the chaos thing. He is getting better, but he would much rather, turn his room upside down than play with the coolest toy in the world. Today he put ALL the clothes from their dresser into Alli's crib, as well as any toy he could get his hands on. (forced me to go thru their drawers like I've been meaning to for months) The other day, he dumped ALL his books and ALL his toys into a huge box (that I had thought would be a fun box for a hut.) Too bad I was too mad to let them use the box for a hut after that. :)

Things that I know to be true, but have a hard time doing... keep activities short and brief, move on quickly to something else, clean up quickly - before the kids get bored, stay with them (their too young to stay on task) I always think that I can give them something to do, and then run off and do something else. That's when I always get "bit in the behind" b/c it's much more work cleaning up their mess. Last week I felt like being a mom was fun because I stayed and played with them more, and did a lot less leaving it up them. I know I can't always do that, but when I can, I'm going to start trying to more. The less I care about "the mess of the house" (from my latest post) the happier I can be with my kids.

Keep on truckin! You're a good mom, and you've taught your kids a lot of great things. See you tomorrow...

Amy K said...

i think Julianne enjoyed the bead mess. She has a pleased look on her face.

Libby said...

Ok, your kids are hilarious! I've been there so, so many times! I actually put a ban on beads in our house for several months. And as far as the library goes, I don't do storytime anymore. It's 45 minutes long here! How could anyone expect a 2 year old to sit still for 5 minutes, let alone 45??? I love reading your posts, though, because I know I'm not alone on all this craziness. And Amy, I need another invitation to your blog because I can't get on to see it anymore.